Cuter than Cute

Cuter than Cute

Monday, April 19, 2010

Twiddling Thumbs

So with the baby room completely finished, most of the big things bought, clothes ready to be worn in all shapes and sizes, and the diapers ready for the filling...there isn't much more that Jon and I can do to get ready for the baby. Jon's brother called us "overachievers" and I think he's right. Today marks the first day of my third trimester and we have nothing to do but wait. Hopefully the time will fly by. We are attending a few classes to help us prepare for the labor and the breastfeeding. I'm going to try my best to go unmedicated as I fear loss of control of my lower limbs. We'll see how I do though. Encouragement from everyone would be greatly appreciated! All I keep hearing are sarcastic "Good lucks" and eye rolling. Come on people!

Ah well though. We'll see what happens. As long as I can have a tub to relax in as I'm in labor I think I will make it through. But, I'll find out if I can have one of those in a week. I'll keep everyone posted. :)

6 comments:

amy said...

Definitely try going for no drugs, it's cheaper about $1k, and you will be able to move around during labor. I couldn't move my body and it was very frustrating, it only numbed my legs and feet which were not in pain.

One thing, tell the nurse right off not to offer you the drug. Mine kept asking me every few minutes "are you sure you don't want the epidural" she finally wore down my resistance. I swear she was a salesman, it was so annoying.

Our Crazy World said...

Thanks for the encouragement! I plan on creating a birth plan before I even go into labor so the nurses know exactly what I want and don't want. That way I'm not hammered with that question over and over. You rock Amy!

Lady of the House said...

Best of Luck!!(NO EYE roll here) I had both of my boys with no meds and a giant tub. I recommend it. You can do it. Just remember what you want and you can work through any pain. Have people with you who can speak for you and are behind you and your plan. But I also recommend having what you think you want and what may work. Because when I was in labor I remember things being different than what I thought. I still did it with no meds not even an IV but you plan needs to be a little flexible.
And your not waiting for the baby your resting up for the sleepless night to come.

Best of Luck
~jackie searle

brook said...

Good luck! I'm really proud and happy that you chose to go without an epidural! Its so much better for the baby and for the entire NATURAL birthing process.

I'm excited for you!

Nancy said...

I've had peri-cervical blocks & wondered if they worked at all (if they did, I'm indeed grateful!); a saddle block which was probably the precursor of the epidural which was painless, left you unable to move from the waist down for 6 hrs. or so, & required a forceps delivery (by the time I had it I didn't care what they did to me); gas which took away the worst of the pain and left me able to deliver the baby; and 2 (or 3?) with no meds....the way to go if all is in order, the baby is turned right, the labor not forever long...but the end result of all was a healthy baby and healthy mom who loved each equally. Do what's right for you, and like Jackie said, be flexible!

Larson Letters said...

Wish you luck girl!! I've tried twice now and I just have two bad spots that hurt so bad that I need the epidural! I hope you can do it! My last kid, I had so much, my doing cause of the pain, that I was stoned afterwards. I was just really dazed and my dad kept asking me if I was all right. At the time I didn't realize it, but afterwards I did and didn't really like it.